Friday, June 15, 2007

Week 2, Thing 1 & Thing 2 - Backing up a bit...


Okay, having accomplished Things 3 and 4 by setting up and registering a blog, I can now track earlier Things here.

#1, Finding out about the program, done, and hey, it sounds great. Read the "About" page, checked the "Tips" page, which seems empty now but I expect that it will fill up as we all move along.

#2, Lifelong learning:
I like these 7 1/2 principles. The last half-principle reminds me that some time ago I heard a professor point out that you can tell that a new thing is going be really useful when people start playing with it - he was thinking of guys creating computer games in the dawn of the computer age. He also pointed out that this playing around by the rank and file usually makes those in charge mad - I'm glad to see that this uptight attitude is not going to be a part of this program!
My goal will be fairly broad, to find out more about technology as it expands and changes. I know that everything I learn will make future learning easier, because I can remember those first little Apples and how difficult computers seemed then. New computer systems aren't scary at all now. Or not nearly as much.
Major obstacles for me will be other job responsibilities and interruptions. Also, I do not personally own much new technology - may be the last person in Baltimore County to own a pantograph - so will have to do some borrowing.
Which relates to my toolbox, which will be largely borrowed. But hey, we work in a library and borrowing is what it's all about, right?
And a library has great resources - I expect that I'll be using the Internet, and calling upon co-workers, especially those who are following the same long, long trail of 23 Things at the same time as I, and, in a pinch, the always-helpful folks who work at extension 3000.
My path will be the things in this program, and I'll keep an eye on my progress during the summer through this blog. Which will get less and less vanilla, I hope.

No comments: