Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Week 9, Thing 20 - YouTube

I've seen a number of online video clips - in ALA's online weekly magazine, e-mailed by friends , etc., but I've never really searched any video sites until today. After locating a couple of favorites to view again, I enjoyed clicking on the related videos tossed up next to whatever is on the screen, and did some searching on YouTube, Yahoo, and Google; didn't really spend enough time there to notice any huge differences (I feel so guilty using up staff-only bandwidth in these public-MySpaceless days!). They were all easy to use.

I'm always up for clever fun, and there certainly seems to be no end to available spoofs (including, as far as I can see, spoofs of spoofs of spoofs) and people with wayyyyy too much time on their hands. The imagination and creativity of some amateurs is impressive. I have snickered over or admired commercials from around the world, movie trailers (real trailers, ones performed by Legos, and a Bollywood Superman riff), and holiday videos including The Nutcracker Suite with animated bicycle parts, music-synchronized Christmas lights on a house (saw that on Snopes.com last year), and a precis of It's a Wonderful Life with bunnies!

I'm not going to take the time and bandwidth to add it to this blog, but my favorite is SSgt. Roger Parr lipsynching a C&W song with his company of British soldiers in Iraq - "The Way to Armadillo" will get you there in a search. Watching this comforts me when I find myself worrying too much about my wonderful nephew and hating our dullard of a national leader too much; to me it says that there can be bits of fun even in bad situations. An added giggle is that this video crashed the British Ministry of Defense computer system when all those stiff-upper-lip types formerly played in movies by Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, and David Niven started forwarding it to each other...

No comments: