Friday, July 6, 2007

Week 4, Thing 8

Whoa, I've just managed to open yet another account - with Bloglines - and selected a couple of RSS feeds. First I chose New Urban Legends and BBC News, but must have messed up on the second one (probably didn't go down and hit that second "subscribe"), since it didn't appear. Then, realizing that the urban legends one just duplicated stories that I feel I read often enough on Snopes.com, I figured out how to delete it.

This looks like a valuable tool for those whose computers are on all day, and who check a number of blogs regularly. However, for one who goes to a computer only for a specific task once in a while, maybe it's not so necessary (I realize that the latter type of person is becoming less and less common in my socioeconomic class). Nifty to know about, at any rate.

I thought I'd start with a news feed - maybe the Guardian, since those cheapskates at the Stornoway Gazette - WAIT! - I did add the Stornoway Gazette! Wow! However, the Oban Times still requires that you pay money for a subscription, so forget them!

Then I added a kitchen column from NPR - I can see how entertaining and addictive this might get! - and a couple of fellow-BCPL-blogs, and to make this more librarian-y, some library-type feeds. Done. Whew. I tried to add a list of my feeds to this, but I guess it's just too late in the day for me to be able to work it out, and there's not a colleague free right now to help me out. I'll try again later.

No comments: